Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bedazzled

So, metal studs are sticking around. I'm kind of ambivalent about them. I've worn them for most of my life (studs and Chucks - kind of a punk/rock influence) and was excited when I found them in fashion in the last couple years. I don't know when or how that started, or who started it (if you have a better idea, let me know), and I guess they have always been around - they were popular in the 70s too. But suddenly it seemed like EVERY SINGLE item in EVERY SINGLE store was studded and EVERY SINGLE person, rocker or non-rocker, was sporting studs. Studded bags, studded belts, studded jeans, studded shoes (though, flashbacks of the Louboutin leather slip-ons and pumps still make me salivate)...you get the point. Are people just going to start studding their own skin? (ok, Tu-Linh, eww and OW...)

Anyway, who am I to judge? I just studded my jean shorts last week and bought a studded (and tasseled, incidentally - hey, everything in moderation, she says sarcastically) bag YESTERDAY at the flea market (actually it was a gift - thank you Isobel!). Anyway, fashion is supposed to be FUN and we wear what we love, so who cares where studs stand in trends?

Where am I going with this? I think these days, the days of post-stud-novelty, I'm enjoying them in EXCESS. I like really spiky studs and I like a lot of them all at once. Instead of ditching this trend, let's just go ALL OUT, kind of laugh in the face of an overdone trend by further overdoing it. You walk into my apartment: "Hmm, nice studded COUCH Tu-Linh, where should I sit?"

This editorial (I was getting there) illustrates my point. This is Eniko Mihalik in AnOther magazine, photographed by Willy Vanderperre and styled by Panos Yiapanis.


No comments:

Post a Comment